At Tidysite Skip Services, we have an ongoing commitment to developing and maintaining recycling activities. We endeavour to find a second life for the majority of waste received at our waste transfer station.
What are the benefits of recycling?
- It conserves natural resources such as trees, metals, fossil fuels and other raw material.
- It protects ecosystems and wildlife (less disruption, less pollution, less damage).
- It saves energy (reusing material to create a new product uses less energy than if produced from virgin materials).
- It keeps landfill sites to a minimum.
- It cuts climate-changing carbon emissions.
- It saves money.
- It helps create jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries.
- It feels good.
Find out more about the benefits of recycling glass in particular.
We are currently able to recycle the following:
- UPVC window frames
- Polythene film
- Wood & metal
- Inert (soil, concert, etc.)
- Farm plastic
Some recycling facts
- On average, 24 trees are required to make 1 tonne of paper.
- A forest the size of Wales is needed to produce the amount of paper we use in the UK each year.
- A shocking 91% of plastic isn’t recycled.
- The UK construction industry produces 100 million tonnes of waste per year.
- UPVC is non-biodegradable and will sit in landfills for centuries, but it can be recycled up to 10 times.
- Both glass and metal can be recycled infinitely.
- In the UK, approximately 67% of glass is recycled. For metal, this figure is approximately 70%.
- Meanwhile, approximately 80% of paper and cardboard is recycled.
- The average person in the UK throws away their own body weight in rubbish every seven weeks.
- Only 7.5% of office waste is recycled.
- Recycling one tonne of paper saves enough water and electricity to run the average 3-bedroom house for a year.
- Each Christmas, 227,000 miles of wrapping paper are used on average in the UK. This is almost enough to reach the moon.
- The average household uses over 200 aluminium cans per year.
- Approximately 5 litres of water are required to produce just one sheet of A4 paper.
- Paper accounts for around 70% of office waste.
- It takes around 500 years for disposable nappies to decompose.
- We throw away around 1 and a half million edible bananas every day in the UK.
- The most recycled metal in the world is steel.
- Germany recycles more than any other country in the world.
- In the UK, more than 20,000 tonnes of batteries end up in landfills.
Curious what can fit in a skip? Check out our fun skip-related facts.