Here at Tidysite Skip Services, we are able to offer secure disposal of various types of hazardous waste. We ensure that waste is treated and transported in the appropriate manner, all necessary paperwork is completed and your site is appropriately registered.
You are responsible for your hazardous waste
In the UK, you are responsible for your hazardous waste. You must therefore make sure that the waste produced or handled by your business causes no harm or damage to the environment or people. This is known as your ‘duty of care’. If you work with hazardous substances, you are also obliged to carry out a COSHH risk assessment.
Waste is generally considered hazardous if it (or the material or substances it contains) is harmful to humans or the environment. Examples include:
- Chemicals, such as brake fluid or print toner
- Oils (except edible ones), such as car oil
- Equipment containing ozone depleting substances, like fridges
- Hazardous waste containers
If you’re unsure if you need to carry out a COSHH assessment, download these two documents to help you:
Hazardous waste disposal
You must describe any waste your business produces before you send it for recycling and disposal.
This description must include:
- The waste classification code, also referred to as the LoW (List of Waste) or EWC (European Waste Catalogue) code
- Whether it’s hazardous
- The type of premises or business where the waste was produced
- The name of the substance or substances
- The process that produced the waste
- A chemical and physical analysis
- Any special problems, requirements or knowledge related to the waste
More on the disposal of hazardous waste and what counts as hazardous
Further information on Waste Classification can be found here.
For complete peace of mind, why not hire a professional to dispose and handle your hazardous waste for you? Get in touch to find out how we can help.